Welcome to 'A Montessori Home'.
With so many of our friends and family living in far-off lands, I hope that this blog might help our loved-ones get to know our gorgeous Finlay as he grows up. I also hope that these posts may provide inspiration, provoke thought and conversation about creating beautiful Montessori environments for infants and toddlers at home. I'm always happy to hear your comments, thoughts and suggestions. Feel free to pop in now and then to see what we're up to!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Living the life you love

What an amazing creature an 18-month-old is!  The world certainly seems to be Finlay's oyster right now and we are constantly astonished by new words, new facial expressions, new opinions and new abilities.  He has started recalling past events and stringing words together to tell a 'story'.  


Earlier in the week, Brent took Finlay to the swimming pool.  When he returned, Fin excitedly told me, "Beh-buin (penguin), ga-gool (cuddle), ah-tah (water), spash (splash), daddy, ba-dee (buggy/stroller)".  Brent explained that there had been a penguin mascot at the pool giving cuddles to all the children, and that they had been splashing in the water before returning home in the buggy.  How wonderful that he can now describe some of the many things that must be going on in his head!

Now that we are seeing and hearing more of that secret inner-life-of-Fin, I am reminded of how important his environment is in shaping the person he is becoming.  He really does spend his days replicating the actions he sees us doing around him.  On the days when I get my yoga mat out (not as often as I would like!) he unrolls his mat again and again striking various poses.  He constantly hums into his 'trumpet' (a trumpet mouth-piece connected to a funnel), just like Daddy.  He is starting to sing throughout the day, just like Mummy.  Yesterday I saw him trying to close a drawer with the side of his hip...  I don't even notice myself doing this but he has absorbed it none-the-less!


Back in June my dad (Fin's Pa) came to visit for two weeks.  During this time, dad brought into our house the things he is passionate about - drawing and playing drums.  By the end of those two weeks, Fin was playing his drum non-stop and constantly getting out his crayons and pencils.  Even the style of his drawings changed as he replicated the sketching style that he had watched his Pa using.

These photos show just how much his drawings changed over the course of those two weeks:
- May 26th, 2011-

 - June 16th, 2011-
What a timely reminder this was to make sure that I am living the life I love.  Every day.  Each moment.    Reading, singing, cooking, writing, gardening, playing, dancing, loving, sewing...  not only do these things make my life happier, but they enrich Finlay's personality in ways I will never fully comprehend.  

What joy!

Reading with Daddy at 13months

6 comments:

  1. This is so true and timely. Some mother friends and I were just discussing this very thing. I'm learning the ukulele at the moment for my own enjoyment but also to expose my toddler to the enjoyment of making music yourself. She now goes and picks it up and hands it to me and then tries to play it herself. Mind you, I've also caught her using it as a balancing beam to walk along, but that's a whole other story ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing when you actually start to see what an impact your lifestyle has on the little one(s) in your life, huh?!

    I find myself focusing on the positive activities that I can include in our daily life so that Fin will absorb them into his way of being, but I often have to remind myself that he is also absorbing my good/bad habits... please and thank-yous, basic kindness, generosity, exercising, flossing teeth, removing shoes at the door, keeping the house clean and tidy... the list seems endless and all these things are being (or not being!) absorbed whether we like it or not.

    ...... Not that we need yet another thing to feel guilty about in this business of parenting, but just something I like to remember as an incentive toward better-living, for me as much as my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I was just thinking of you earlier this week and wondering whether you might have something to share soon. I was thrilled to see that you did!

    You describe this point in toddler life so very well! I have been thrilled by the "stories" of late myself. As always, your words are much appreciated - you have given me much to reflect on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you, Melissa. I definitely have not been finding much time at all to write here lately - it's very nice to find such lovely feedback when I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy!

    Frame the last one, have it enlarged and plaster it on the wall. It says LOVE OF READING all over it. (and daddy love too!)
    JUST. TOO. CUTE.!

    I love this post. I love how it comes in a timely manner for me... and there are so many truths in there.

    I missed your posting. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neptune,

    Isn't that photo adorable?! It was taken 5 months ago but I've been waiting for an opportunity to share it here. Fin REALLY loves books - looking at pictures, naming the things he knows, turning pages, being read to or simply sitting by himself with a pile of books surrounding him. I try to make sure he sees me reading books for my own pleasure but I'm sure I should be doing this more... not just staring at a computer screen! So hard to avoid in this day and age :).

    The same goes for writing... when do our children see us writing letters these days? I really have to force myself to do this at least a few times per day - even if it's just writing a shopping list!

    I know you often mention how much reading is a part of your family-life and it's so nice to be reminded of that when I read your words. Something to aspire to.

    I hope your time in forced-retrospection is at least helping you find clarity away from life's busy-ness. Probably something we should all be doing before our bodies force us to. Take note, Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete