Welcome to 'A Montessori Home'.
With so many of our friends and family living in far-off lands, I hope that this blog might help our loved-ones get to know our gorgeous Finlay as he grows up. I also hope that these posts may provide inspiration, provoke thought and conversation about creating beautiful Montessori environments for infants and toddlers at home. I'm always happy to hear your comments, thoughts and suggestions. Feel free to pop in now and then to see what we're up to!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Big changes to our little world



Has it really been three months?  

Big changes have been underway in our little world.  Going back to work full-time has been a huge transition for all of us, but finally things are starting to settle and the new routine is feeling easier.  As I mentioned at the end of last year, we intended for Finlay to come along with me to preschool in the mornings, but we soon discovered that this was just not the right place for him at the moment.  Luckily we had the option of leaving him with a lovely nanny for the next few months until he's ready - a hard decision to begin with, but Finlay is showing very clearly that he is happy with the new arrangement so that has eased my guilt a lot.  I look forward to re-introducing him to our Montessori casa when he is truly ready and can fully appreciate and benefit from it. 

That darling boy of mine turned two a few weeks ago.  What joy it is to listen as his language becomes more and more complex.  What fun it is to watch as his co-ordination allows him to be more and more independent.  And how exhausting it is to be with a two-year-old who can descend from that angel face (above) to this (below) in the blink of an eye!


I know I have purposefully raised him in an environment which supports self-sufficiency, but my goodness it's difficult to keep up with his thirst for autonomy.   This determination may be challenging for the adults in his life right now, but I'm confident that this unstoppable desire for challenge will serve him well in the years to come.  Part of me wishes I were still home full time so I could allow him more time to do everything for himself... another part of me is thankful that we get to spend some time apart each day so I can recharge my patience-batteries and be at my best for him.  This is a constant challenge but such a great learning opportunity for me.

Here are a few pics from the past month as Fin entered his third year of life... what a big boy he is all of a sudden!
Blowing out the candle on his 2nd birthday cake (quickly, before the wind gets it!).  Yes, that is a store bought cake... quite a change from last year's raw, organic, home made one.... perhaps I'll be more organised next year!

After raiding my make-up bag and applying mascara! ("Mummy, Fin make self pretty")
Exploring the beautiful garden at a friend's wedding in Christchurch


Fin's new passion - taking photos of his feet, the grass or the floor....

Meanwhile, I have been busy setting up our beautiful new Montessori environment and introducing our first children into the class.  Most of my spare time has been spent thrifting and sewing...





And there's still so much left to make!  Stay tuned for a little tour of our new space... I can't wait to share it with you.

3 comments:

  1. And I can't wait to see it!

    Thanks, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I will try to send you some photos of our girls' nursery (thanks for all your email help with setting it up, making mobiles, etc.) and rooms throughout our home.

    Can I ask why things didn't work out with bringing Fin to school with you? That's what I hope to do with Connolly & Anna when they are older... I miss being in the classroom! The girls are 8 months now, so we still have a few years to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to replying, Gillian! I would love to see photos of your home - I'm so pleased to have been of help :)

    I realised after a few weeks of having Finlay with me at preschool that the environment just wasn't meeting his needs - he was only just turning two and still had so much emotional development to do before being ready for a 3-6 classroom. There are so many other factors, I probably should write a whole post about it!

    I am intending for him to attend the school with me eventually (we'll re-evaluate when he's 2.5.... maybe closer to 3?), but I am trying to remain open-minded to the possibility of sending him to another school if it doesn't work out to have me as his teacher.... such a hard decision!!!

    ReplyDelete